Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Severe hair loss. Is it DHT or alopecia ?

Doctor I am ismath Khan 23 yrs old.I have Severe hair loss .I Checked My Hair in One Hair Clinic they Told its DHT Problem,But I Consult with skin doctor he told its alopecia he give soln of pilomin contain minoxidil 2% .But i didnt realize hair is grow,hair fall stop.Please suggest me a good medicine and also food diet.thanking you
Mon, 28 Nov 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

problem of hair loss can be due to excess androgens or due to the genetic make up which causes hair fall. Hair loss in a particular region means alopecia. It can also be due to infection. Hence a thorough examination of the scalp and the hair roots wil help better to identify the cause and treat it adeduately. I would advise you to consult a dermatologist in this regard. I hope i have answered your query. Take care
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Gaurav Patel's  Response
welcome to healthcare magic forum
you have androgenic alopecia and it take up to 4-6 month to grow hair
so keep medicine of skin doc continue
you can add tab finasteride for fast result
i hope i answered your question .
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. K. P. V. Rao's  Response
Hi Ismath Khan,
There are multiple reasons for hairfall or alopecia.Few of them are---hypothyroidism,vitamin deficiancy,chemical reaction to soap/shampoo you use[very common nowadays].Get your T3,T4,TSH done and let me know what shampoo etc you are using.also I would like to know whether you are male or female[for suggesting line of treatment thru HCM].
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Puvvula Kishore Kumar's  Response
welcome to HCM..,
Thanks for query...,
Hair loss is called Alopecia Areata...,
DHT......Dihydro Testosterone...It is hormone which is use to grow hairs..
in the Males....deficiency of this leads to hair loss....Androgenic type..,
But U R 23 yrs old...don't worry about hairloss....
everyday ...loosing 100 hairs are common...,
So use medicines .....for 3 months...,
1) Minoxidil 4% and Aminexiletine solution...,every day application
2) Tab Biotin 10 mg......alternatively ...,
3) Tab....Finasteride ...alternatively
Both tablets are using alternatively....... only cleansing of influence on hair growth...,
o.k. good soap by assessing the TFM Value..
every soap have its own TFM value(minimum is > 70%)...,
follow this treatment and keep these points and follow....o.k
good luck...,
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

hi doctor,im sufferin frm severe hair loss..evn if i touch my hair it falls bald all over the scalp. I had an online consulation wid dr.rohit of alopecia treatment centre,surat but i would like to know if it has the best treatment.if not good please suggest me the best alopecia treatment in kerala or 23yr female,64kg,157cm.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am Tanusree from Bangladesh. I have some problem at my scalp. Several time my scalp become hair less i.e may be alopecia (baldness). Some time i use a hormon injection,but now dr tell me it is harmful for lady. What can i do? am 26 th. And my marriage ceremony is near to door.                                                                  

doctor1 MD

Hello! I am 35 years old woman and have been suffering from hairloss since i was 32. I have gone through a genetic test that showed that I haven t inherited androgenic alopecia and also nobody from my family is bold. I have no problems with the glands as I have been tested several times. Last year I had a standard operation for removal of a benign tumor in my uterus called mioma but my hairloss had started 2 years before that. And my female organs are still intact. I live and work in a foreign country and I sometimes think my problem might be caused by stress. What I know for sure is that this has been driving me crazy for along time now and is my biggest fear and the more I think about it the worse it gets. I have recently broken up with my boyfriend and the main reason is that I can t stand myself the way I am now. I know that this problem can ruin my whole life... Recently I have started thinking that the only think I can do is committing a suicide which I know is a crazy thought. But seems like the only possible outcome if that problem persists. I also don t think I suffer from depression because when I have my so called good days with my hair I am absolutely fine and feel happy and all in the world is good. One more thing: I have had constipation for the past 20 years and started taking herbal medicines 15 years ago. I simply can t live without taking them. Recently read that there are some microorganisms in the stomach that might cause hairloss if they more that normal. Really don t know what to think. According to all my blood tests I am fine, my glands including the thyroid are all functioning normally. And just recently I have the feeling my scalp itches but that has never been the case before and it also might be psychological (psychosomatic ). Please help me!!! Thank u!!!

Recent questions on  Prostaglandin d2

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, Im 30 yrs old. married and having one kid. My problem is till now Im not having proper facial hair . I have a mustache but its missing hair in the middle and I also dont have sideburns. got alittle hair growth on my chin though. Also Im having hair loss on my front part of head( baldness ) . Ive waited till now hoping I will get any benefit when I age more. Pls help me as I find this really difficult to go with.

doctor1 MD

I m a 25 year old male. I ve been experiencing massive hair loss for the last 3-4 years (male pattern baldness ). I ve started using Mintop Forte Oil i also have been using Dr BAtra for the last 3 years. Is mintop a good solution and are there any side effects. Is hairtransplant a good option if yes where can i find a good one in INdia.

doctor1 MD

helo doctor. for the past 6 months i hav been suffering from hair loss ..i was previously on ayurvedic tratement for the same, but it did not show any results so i consulted a dermat. he has prescribed me with adgain and follihair tablets and propionate nf lotion. i hav been takin these medicines since 1and half month now but i m not noticing any fall is still persistent with thinning of hair in the center . how long will it take for the medicines to show any results and are they effective for treatment. kindly reply

doctor1 MD

hello doctor, i m a 21yr old male from india. i m suffering from intense hair lose problem for the past 1 yr. before that i have really good hair with extra density. but now i lose all the hair on top of my scalp and starts to bald in the frontal areas. it is happend in just one year. and the remaining hair on my scalp are very thin and weak. what could be the reason doctor? is this due to hereditary? there are no one in my mothers side who have baldness . but my father is bald, and he starts to bald in his early 30s. then why am i balding in my early 20s. ? pls help me doctor...