Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Severe gum pain with occasional numbness, cheek pain, grind teeth in sleep. Could that be causing pain?

Hi my name is Brianna I m 13 and for about a year now I have been getting this really bad pain in my gums and sometimes it completely gets numb and my cheeks get this really bad pain I ve been trying to find a dentist , but all the dentist in my area either won t accept my medicaid plan or take forever to get an appointment. I also grind my teeth in my sleep is this what causes the pain?
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  229
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
gum pain could be due to periodontal or gingival pus or due to pyorrhoea . teeth pain could be due to your grinding as it would have reduced them to such a level as to expose the pulp inside the tooth which has caused it to become sensitive.
grinding could be due to stresss levels and you could consider having alprax .25 mg .
i am sorry you would have to go to a dentist soon.
Answered: Wed, 31 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.

Grinding teeth cause removal of dentin and cause sensitivity.

A splint can also be created to prevent damage to the teeth and to eliminate headaches and pain associated with the condition.

Don't drink coffee or tea after dinner, and avoid alcohol and smoking during the evening as they may worsen bruxism.

Mouth guards are coverings worn over teeth, and often used to protect teeth from injury from teeth grinding and during sports.

Medications aren't very effective for treatment of bruxism. In some cases, your doctor may suggest taking a muscle relaxant before bedtime.

Answered: Tue, 30 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm forum ,
i would be glad to answer your query,
i would like you to know that pain in the cheek and gums is following cheek biting which may have occurred accidentally while grinding of teeth.
i advise you to see a dentist, you will require a night gaurd which will prevent teeth grinding and cheek biting.
until you see a dentist, kindly use warm saline to rinses(3-4 times/day), this will relief pain.
also, you may use an antibacterial mouthwash(twice/day),
a topical gel (dologel-CT),if applied once/day over the affected area only ,half an hour before meals will provide pain relief.
i hope i answered your query.
i wish you good health,
take care.
Answered: Sun, 28 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
Night grinding of the teeth is the main cause for the problem which is termed as Bruxism. This leads to pain in the teeth , gums , cheek and leads to bone loss as well . This has to be treated by breaking the habit of grinding your teeth and usage of analgesics will help you get rid of pain as the first line of treatment. You will be given a mouth guard which will help you to protect the teeth and help in breaking the habit. See your dentist as early as possible. Hope this information helps you.
Answered: Thu, 24 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor