Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Severe facial swelling, mouth pain. Taking antibiotics, fluids, ice packs. CT scan showed parotid mass. Treatment?

My 81 year old mother had an episode of severe facial swelling and mouth pain this week ( also experienced n/v, and light- headed). The pain was around her right upper mandible, so we assumed it was a dental issue. took her to see her dentist on Monday and several xrays were done and they noted significant bone loss to her upper teeth , they did note a small area of decay around one tooth but not a resounding abcess as I assumed. She was put on antibiotic and pain med and scheduled to have a tooth removed. She had been to the oral surgeon about 4 weeks earlier and had a two teeth removed but not mention of anything with this tooth. Tuesday her symptom persisted and in fact, the swelling was increasing. I instructed her to continue with antibiotic and lots of fluid and rest, ice pack to the swelling. Wednesday, she stated the swelling was alittle better but she just felt horrible, so I talked with her PCP and he ordered CBC with diff and CT with and without. CT showed a parotid mass to the right. Now she has had a knot on the lower portion of mandible for 25 years and dr. s have told her it was nothing to worry about ( but no one has ever scanned the area) She has also recently developed dry mouth syndrome . We are supposed to be taking her to an ENT but I would like a little information so that I can be prepared.
Fri, 28 Mar 2014
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
July 2014
thanks for your query, i have gone through your question, the pain and swelling could be secondary to a tooth infection since you are telling decay and bone loss...and you are telling dry mouth and a parotid mass it can be a salivary gland tumor....or it could be superimposed with both the conditions...consult a oral physician and ENT surgeon for complete examination and proper diagnosis before treatment.. i hope my answer will help you....
with regards
Dr. Mahesh kumar T.S
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor