Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Severe ear discharge, cracks behind ears, infection, oozing discharge. Treatment options?

My ears are always a goopy mess. I try very hard not to get water in them. The last time I had a doctor scoop the sludge out of it his exact words were, What the hell is that! He sent it in to the lab but never followed up with me. All my other doctors just give me ear drops and send me home. Is there a skin condition that can cause the skin to ooze inside the ear. When I was a child I would get cracks behind my ears that would ooze and get infected. The skin doctor treated it with cortozen. I cant help thinking its the same condition. The problem in my ears started 11 years ago when I lived in. I have always believed it was the wet climate that set it off.
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  255
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

You are must do everything you can to treat the ear infection, just a few pointers:
1. If the antibiotics are not working that well you need to take a swab of the pus and send it for a test called the culture and sensitivity test and initiate a proper treatment and make sure your doctor follows it up this time.

2. If the pain is worse and discharge is increasing you may consider injectable antibiotics and pain killers which can relieve your pain faster and more effectively

3. After the infection settles you need to undergo a complete check up of your ear drums by an ENT for preventing the infection in the future

4. If there is any problem with the drum then it must be addressed as soon as possible to give you a permanent relief.

5. Avoid meddling your ears especially with an ear bud and also do not allow any water to go inside the ear

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Thu, 22 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor