Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Severe cramps in sternum on bending over, using abdominal muscles, occurring post child birth. Cure?

When bending over or using abdominal muscle I sometimes get a severe cramp at the bottom of my sternum. If I push on it and sort of stretch it will go away. I noticed this 9 years ago after I gave birth to my son. The cramping is so severe that I literally have to stop what I am doing and try to relax enough for the pain to stop.
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  264
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
this could be a small epigastric or paraumbilical hernia. This is not serious. It occurs when a gap develops in the muscle layer and a small area of tissue, usually fat, protrudes through. This is often intermittent and may only occur when the pressure in your abdomen is raised. When you push on the area, you may be pushing the tissue back through the gap in the muscle and therefore relieving the pain.
It is a condition that can occur after childbirth as the muscles get stretched and weakened during pregnancy.
The treatment is usually a small operation to repair the gap in the muscle and this cures the problem.
Dr K A Pottinger
Answered: Thu, 11 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor