Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Severe chest pain, difficulty in breathing. Have an air pocket between the lung and diaphragm. What is the treatment?

i went to the ER last sat nite with severe chest pains and difficulty breathing . i was told i had an air pocket between my left lung and my diaphragm. i have been in the hospital this week but not treated specifically for this. i m very concerned as to why this air pocket it there and what my treatment should be. i am constantly hurting and it s been pretty bad again tonight. what should i do???
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  101
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
thanks for using health care magic. To air pocket called is an indication there was some trauma caused to the lung tissue, with escape of air into the space between the lungs and diaphragm. Nothing is being done because the physician s certainly the amount of air is not much enough for an invasive procedure to be done to remove the air. Conservative treatment of this condition, called pneumothorax is usually opted for, depending o the clinical condition of the patient, the radiologic characteristics and the evolution of the patient, which is judged both clinically and paraclinically. You should not be surprised if routine X rays are done on you. IN case of any deterioration of your condition, adequate invasive procedures to avoid crushing or collapse of a lung tissue through insertion of a test tube shall be done.
In case you notice worsening of your health status, pain becomes more and more severe or difficulties in breathing increase, notify your treating physician. If not, the situation usually improves with time and might take a week or two. So , I pray you stop worrying that much but stay vigilant to improve any negative changes to your doctor.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Thu, 14 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor