Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Severe cheek pain, wisdom tooth partially covered with flesh. Surgery required?

Hello , I woke up today with a severe cheek pain, then I realized that flesh has come over my wisdom tooth! the wisdom tooth was visible till few days back but now its partially covered with flesh. Do I need to see a dentist? what should I do? Will I need a surgery or something?? Awaiting you reply. Thank you. Regards
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  1453
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
Hello there....Flesh that covers your wisdom tooth is called the pericoronal flap....any inflammation to the flap would result in Pericoronitis... As and when you occlude this flap comes between your upper and lower tooth and owing to the repeated friction it enlarges in size...that leads to small pocket between the flap and the tooth underneath, resulting in accumulation of food beneath the flap...this would result in abscess if left untreated....Pain your experiencing is because of the inflammation...
There are two ways of handling it- Operculectomy- procedure done under local anesthesia, where the flap around the tooth is excised and the tooth is retained...But there are all chances for the flap to regrow resulting in the same symptoms you are experiencing now... This is now out dated...for a permanent solution get your wisdom tooth removed...Consult a Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon for the procedure...
Answered: Fri, 28 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum,
i would be glad to answer your query,
In your case, the gum which is covering the wisdom tooth partially is slightly inflamed, this condition is called 'pericoronitis', it is nothing to worry about.
sometimes, food gets impacted in the gum tissue which forms a pocket around the tooth nd causes pain and swelling.
kindly perform warm saline rinses(3-4 times/day) ,it will relief pain and swelling.
It is important for you to see a dentist, he/she might prescribe medicines to resolve infection if present.
i hope i answered your query,
i wish you good health,
take care.
Answered: Thu, 27 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
In case of partially erupted wisdom tooth, flap of gum tissue is created where food impaction can occur. This condition is known as Pericoronitis and in this condition, gum tissue will appear swollen and gum tissue will appear red. Pus discharge may occur from the gums. There is difficulty in swallowing; closing the jaws and bad taste and odor is present from oral cavity. For treatment of Pericoronitis, debridement of area or operculectomy that is surgical removal of flap over partially erupted wisdom tooth can be done and if the condition recurs, then extraction of wisdom tooth may also be required. You can visit your dentist for evaluation and treatment. By the time, you visit your dentist, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day to reduce the swelling of gums and keep wisdom tooth area clean. Food accumulates in relation to wisdom tooth will aggravate the pain.
Answered: Thu, 27 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Preet Kaur's  Response
hi there
thanx for the query
yes absolutely u need to visit a dentist
you will require a small surgical procedure named OPERCULECTOMY which is cutting of that small flesh on top of your teeth under anaesthesia.
get a xray of that tooth so that if your wisdom tooth is impacted it can be extracted. which will lead to no other complications in future.
at home you can start with MOUTH WASH RINSING. take pain killer if required
do visit a dentist for x ray and further treatment.
Answered: Thu, 27 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor