Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Severe back pain, thecal sac impingement. Treatment?

my mother was having severe back pain at lumbar region, MRI report said that due to bulging of disc at the level of L3,L4 nerve at that level and thecal sac impingment is causing that pain and it is not severe to undergo surgical correction but phisiotheraphy, could you please tell me what should she do and don t in order to come back to acceptable level.
Asked On : Mon, 28 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  394
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pulmonologist 's  Response
You mother`s problem is typical of what is seen in elderly age group. With advancing age, there are degenerative changes in the spine and IV discs bulge and impinge on the thecal sac. Surgery is only indicated if there is marked neurological deficit. In acute stage she should take rest, pain killers and some heat treatment in the form of SWD. Once acute pain subsides, she should gradually start exercises. For this she should consult a qualified physiotherapist who can teach her these exercises.
Answered: Mon, 28 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor