Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Severe back pain. Taking steroids. MRI shows disc bulges, bone spur. Surgical options?

Hi I have been having back pain for a year now that is at times pretty severe. I had an MRI and it said that I have disk bulges at s1/l5 & l3/l4. It also said I have a bone spur at l3/34. I have had steriod injections and they relieve the paid for about a week and it comes back. I am now seeing a physical therapist that I have been going to for about 6 weeks and have shown a small inprovement. What surgical options do I have as I am tired of hurting as my life style has changed and I want to be back to my old active self. Thank you
Asked On : Sat, 21 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  60
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
hi, u are suffuring from PIVD at l3/l4 &l5/s1. Due to this Disc bulge pressure occurs on nerve roots & radiation of pain occurs in that dermatotome. Physiotherapy like intermittent lumbar traction , back exercise reduces pressure of disc bulge for some time & gives relief. Steroid injections reduces edema & thereby reduces pressure over nerves. According to severty, age & patient demand surgery is a good option (Discectomy). Nowadays Microdisectomy done with an operating microscope. Exposure is very limited. Morbidity & hospitalisation is less.
Answered: Thu, 6 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor