Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Severe anxiety, rib area feels tight, nervy pain. What should i do?

I suffer from severe anxiety. I wake though night with tingling pain from feet which goes to my bladder lower bowel & travels to my rib area, goes after a few minutes, but I think it has affected my bowel ( can t do healthy stools ) bladder feels bad, full sometimes, rib area feels tight, nervy pain. This is a vicious circle my symptoms make me more anxious. my Dr says I have IBS . & their are no tests for the symptoms I have, I am very depressed.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  106
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Usually IBS or irritable bowel syndrome occurs in a person in situations of stress and anxiety. Anxiety increases the symptoms of IBS and IBS increases anxiety. So a vicious cycle results in deterioration of health. There are no specific tests that can detect IBS with confirmation. All major tests of stomach and bowels come normal. You should visit a psychiatrist for expert opinion. There are various medicines which can be used in anxiety and IBS. Medicines like SSRI as Paroxetine, sertaline are very useful in IBS with anxiety.
A specific medicine Librax which contains clinidium and chlordiazepoxide is very effective in controlling bowel symptoms in IBS.
In some patients stool softeners are also used to relieve constipation.
As you are in pain, have thightness in rib cage, I will advise you to visit a Psychiatrist.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Answered: Tue, 19 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I understand that you have been going through a lot and that your doctors are not helping with telling you that your condition has no cure. I can sense that you are also anxious about your condition. IBS is a clinical diagnosis and there are no tests. It can also be exacerbated by stress. I advise you to take the opinion of a psychiatrist and see if you can get help with medications. I can also understand that you are having some physical problems and then you may have to contact your doctor.

I hope you find help in a good psychiatrist and a psychologist.

Take care and have a lovely day !
Answered: Tue, 19 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor