Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Severe anxiety and depression with shortness of breath, palpitations, chest and back pains, feeling of butterflies in stomach. Treatment?

I m 14 and I suffer from severe anxiety and depression . Lately, I ve had shortness of breath, rapid, heavy heartbeat , palpitations and when I have shortness of breath, I feel a butterfly feeling in my stomach for a second. I don t know if any of this is normal for anxiety but I m having chest and back pains because I m focusing on breathing and stuff. Any help? Thanks.
Wed, 27 Jun 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi and Welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

You need to elaborate more on the duration and nature of your 'anxiety' and 'depressive' symptoms. Also, though some of the symptoms that you have mentioned may be due to anxiety, symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain and palpitations can be due to medical causes. Hence, these symptoms need further exploration and assessment. For example, do you get the shortness of breath and chest pain only on exertion... how long do they last... what relieves you of the symptoms... etc. etc.

You first need to have a detailed medical assessment in order to rule out any underlying medical problems, as that would be the first priority. If your medical assessment and investigations are all normal, then your anxiety symptoms can then be managed appropriately, after consultation with a psychiatrist. There are various options available for managing anxiety problems... medication, psychological therapies, behavioural therapies, self-help techniques, etc.

Please consult a doctor and have a proper evaluation done at the earliest.

All the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. B. P. Sinha's  Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Your most of the symptomes go in favour of Anxiety but nothing to be panicky. Now a days it has become very common problem specially in your age group. Its curable. You have to consult a Psychiatrist who will first exclude it from the physical problem, if any, and then may start your treatment either with the medicines or the other ways which he thinks will be better for you. Hope this helps you
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor