• question-icon

Severe abdominal pain after dental teeth cleaning

I live in Lehigh Acres, FL. Yesterday I got a severe abdominal pain one hour after my dental appointment for teeth cleaning. I did not eat that morning before the procedure. In the dental office I was treated with antibiotics under my gums (2 spots) and also my doctor used some sweet and bitter yellow liquid which supposed to help slowing down bacteria grouth in my mouth. In one hour after that I started vomiting and very strong pain above my naval area. I ate nothing before that. I ended up in the emergency room of the local hospital where they did blood work, urine test and abdominal cat scan . They decided that I have urine infection because they found nothing besides blood in my urine (but I just started my period being in the emergency room). I do not have urine infection symptoms for sure. Or at least my pain has nothing to do with urine infection symptoms. I called to the dentist office and the doctor/technician who performed my teeth cleaning said that it s impossible to be poisoned with medications she used. Why would I have such bad pain after my dental appointment? And another question why should I pay for my emergency room visit if they were useless at all? They could not even eliminate my stomach ache just made it not so strong for a while.
Mon, 5 Aug 2013
Dentist 's  Response
hello
first of all i feel real sad for what happened with you
now talking about what happene
although stomach pain is most difficult to treat as there are many organs in the space and you cant be sure before a long list of examinations are done
but as u say it all started soon after the dental pain
so what i assume is that the antibiotics used in the dental treatment must be the culprit
yes there are antibiotics used in dental offices that may lead to gastric upset...and severe pain in some rare cases
so what would advise is that the next time you visit your dentist ,do tell him the history of your pain and if you have got the prescription and treatment chart than you must also reproduce that before starting up your treatment
this will help your dentist from taking necessary pecautions and save you from any other future discomforts
best of luck
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
Hello.
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic forum.
Stomach aches are really a difficult thing to treat as the pain is always non specific and there are so many organs in our abdomen that it is always difficult to pin point the area from where the pain is coming in the absence of a proper history.It is quite possible that the pain you had was due to medication effect.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
drrakhitayal@gmail.com