Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Sever pain in gums, on mouth roof, pressure sensation. What is wrong?

I am having SEVERE pain in my gums and jaw, it starts at the top of my mouth and it feels like pressure that runs all the way into my lower jaw. Occasionally I can feel something under my gums pop, which relieves the pain temporarily but then the pressure starts building again and I m in agony. I have many teeth that are broken and have consulted a dentist and am waiting for an appointment to have them pulled. The pain is also relieved by tipping my head upside down, I have no idea why, should I seek emergency care?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  86
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome,

Your clinical symptoms suggest you may have severe periondontal infection . It is caused due to gingival inflmmation and accumulation of granulation tissue deep in the gum pockets which leads to pain in the gums , pressure sensation in the jaws , redness and bleeding gums.

i would suggest you to consult a dentist and get an OPG radiograph done which will show the picture of damaged tissues , amount of bone loss , level of alveolar bone and gums .

Accordingly treatment can be carried out , periodontal inflammation is treated by deep currettage or periodontal flap surgery if needed .

consult a periodontist and get the clinical examination done.

i hope this helps ,

take care.

Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend.

thanks for sharing your concern.

yes you are right. you must seek a dentist help in this regard.

your history suggests that you have decayed(cavity)teeth in your mouth,which upon infection has developed periapical abscess.this abscess is causing you immense pressure and pain.

abscess anywhere in the oral cavity should be drained as soon as possible ,followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesics.

meanwhile you can take tab combiflam 500 mg every six hourly for three days for your pain,till you visit your dentist.

A thorough clinical examination,followed by a diagnostic x ray is required and then based upon that your treatment can be planned.

meanwhile follow good oral hygiene.

take care.
hope it helps

Answered: Tue, 5 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query,
If a tooth on the top of your mouth has become infected, it can put pressure on the palate behind the gum line. A tooth abscess can cause ulcers or an infection to develop which may spread to the roof of the mouth if it is left unchecked.
Visit your dentist for a check-up to determine the cause of your discomfort. You may need to have dental work performed to help alleviate the pain you are experiencing on the roof of your mouth.
You should visit the dental surgeon and get an x-ray done and plan your treatment according to that.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful
Answered: Tue, 5 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome,

Since your teeth had broken,the pain and sensitivity may be due to exposed dentin and pulp of fractured teeth.
PAIN in gums can be treated by massaging the gums with gum paint.

Get your teeth deep cleaned and decayed teeth has to be restored.

Fractured teeth has to be treated with crown or core-build-up.
Maintain good oral hygiene and brush your teeth twice daily.

Chlorhexidine mouthrinses can be used after brushing teeth.

Please do visit a dentist soon for treatment further.

Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor