Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Sense of loss, sexual abuse, depression. What is going on?

Abandonment issues. A close friend who has always suffered from a sense of loss due to being left with his maternal grandparents as a baby and the subsequent return to his mother even though he was afraid to go with her, has recently admitted to me he believes he was sexually abused. He is suffering from marital problems and this has meant that his wife and he do not communicate on any level. His wife also suffers from a severe form of depression brought about by a traumatic birth of their youngest child 14 years ago. He is often depressed and cries frequently to me but will not get any help. I have become his council although I do not feel fitted to the task. What can I do to help him or should I simply allow his breakdown to occur so that he will be forced to get help?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  26
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
thanks for using healthcare magic.
You should take both of them to psychiatrist for couple therapy.
Psychiatrist will evaluate and manage them accordingly. He might be benefited with anti depressant drugs and counselling.
I hope they will be fine soon.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your given history in detail.
In your description yo have mentioned that your friend has depressive symptoms. He need not wait until he has a complete breakdown. He can still visit a psychiatrist who would like to manage him with problem solving therapy and cognitive behavioural therapy.
As far as abuse is considered, it is very very common and yes it can lead to future personality problems.
Until he gets an appointment motivate him to start a morning exercise regime, it will help him a lot.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor