Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Semen examination shows Oligoastheno spermia. Advice on next action ?

Sir, I had my semen examined today and it resulted in Oligoastheno spermia . The test also notes Repeat analysis after treating for infection the individual results are: Volume: 3.5 ml Concentration: 12 million Liquification: 2 hrs Motility 10% active 40% sluggish Morphology 70% normal Pus cells: 10-15/hpf Kindly advice on next action
Asked On : Sat, 13 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  42
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
I have interpreted your semsn analysis report as follows:
Volume: 3.5 ml/ ejaculation, normal volume is 2 ml ejaculation
Concentration: 12 million/ml, This is reduced, normal conc is >20 million/ml
Liquefaction time : 2 hours, normal liquefaction time is upto one hour
Motility: !0% actively motile, 40% sluggish motile. This is abnormal as > 50% sperms should be actively motile
Morphology: 70% have normal morphology. This is normal as > 50% sperms should have normal morphology
Pus cells: 10-15/ High power field

So, your sperm count is low and the motility is low. Asthenospermia implies low motility of the sperms.
The number of pus cells is also increased in the semen which indicates infection in the reproductive tract.

You have an infection so that neeeds to be treated with a course of antibiotics and then get your semen analysis done

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Sat, 13 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Das Arindam's  Response
Sep 2012
Hi, welcome to HCM , I am Dr Das
Firstly though the volume is normal but there is sperm count is lower than normal ( normal is > 20 million as per who 1999).
Secondly sluggish and active motile sperm is in normal limit ( as per who1999 normal is > 50%).
Thirdly, the pus cells are increased which indicates an ongoing infection for which you need antibiotics.
So, consult with your treating doctor for antibiotics for lower urinary tract infection.
Answered: Sat, 13 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor