Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Scarred lung after an abscess burst. Had pneumonia. Suffer from wheezing. Need help

I was hospitalised last September with pneumonia . I had an abscess on my lung which when it burst caused my left lung to get stuck. This resulted in me requiring surgery to free my lung which has been scarred. I now have chest wheezing intermittingly and am out of breath when I bend down. Could you please advise? Mike.
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
You should have an xray chest Anteroposterior view and lateral views to acess for the lungs.
If it is pneumonia causing pus or it may be due to Tuberculosis causing pleural effusion.
If there is pus in the lung have diagnostic pleural fluid aspiration to check what type of effusion is that.
For intermittent wheezing use albuterol and prednisone in inhaler for intermittently for wheezing.
Workup for pleural fluid includes Routine examination, Cytology and Zn staining.
It may be tuberculosis causing pleural effusion and wheezing and have workup for that.

I hope I am successful in solving your query if you have more you can ask me.
Take care
Dr. Azhar Sattar
Answered: Sun, 27 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
Are you a smoker?
With the available described information, there appears to be possibility of obstructive lung disease which may be chronic bronchitis (if you are a smoker) or acute exacerbation of asthma.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist /chest physician and should go for thorough check up.
As such there is no correlation between pneumonia and present symptoms.
Exact diagnosis can be made only after clinical examination.
You should go for chest x ray, spirometry.
Avoid cold drinks and oily food.
take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Sun, 27 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor