Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Scar on the face due to skin damage. Can I go for laser peels?

I met with a small accident, due to which the upper layer of the skin on cheeks got removed around a month back, now the new skin which have come is lighter in color than the normal skin tone, the doctor has advised me to use momisoft ointment to remove the scars, but its not helping. Someone has advised me to use laser or peels to remove the mark completely , is it advisable
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hello..Thanks for your query

If the scar is lighter in color, chemical peels will not help you.
When you get any injury on skin , there is a destruction of the pigment producing cells during the inflammatory process in the area.Hence any scar tissue is seen as hypo pigmented for sometime till the pigment cells start producing the pigment again.
Usually no treatment should be required for this if the scar is small.Stimulation of the 'color' by lasers/ UV light may not match your skin tone exactly and may produce a deeper color in the scarred area than required.
You may see dermatologist and then decide if anything should be done.Usually it takes 6-8 weeks for the pigment cells to regenerate the normal skin color.
Hope this is helpful,take care!
Answered: Mon, 25 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor