Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Scanty periods, acne, excessive hair growth. On diane 35, bigomat. History of PCOS, hormonal imbalance. Treatment?

hie i m 26 year old and unmarried...due to pcos and harmonal periods are scanty..due to which i develop acne and hairgroth body weight normal..i took medicines like bigomat and diane 35 for a long tym but after leaving it again the problem comes back..i m taking ayurvedic medicine since last four ashoka and patranga..but its not helping much as my periods getting scanty..though the cysts are very minute ...but still it bothers a lot....please guide me what should i do?
Asked On : Sun, 15 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  276
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello, I would be happy to help you today.

You are describing classic symptoms related to PCOS and you obviously express an understanding of the disease itself. Just to review, patients with PCOS present for the following reasons:

1.     Irregular or absent cycles or bleeding
2.     Excess male pattern hair growth
3.     Infertility / Inability to conceive

The “syndrome” involves the above symptoms, and the appearance of polycystic ovaries. The ovaries have this appearance because patients are typically NOT ovulating in any predictable manner.

In terms of hormonal changes and imbalances, PCOS is associated with “insulin resistance” and excess androgens. In terms of the workup, there needs to be consideration of other causes of ‘not-ovulating’ or anovulatory cycling. This would include:

1.     Tests of thyroid function
2.     Tests for diabetes
3.     Labs related to androgen excess (there are other disease in addition to PCOS)

In terms of treatment, it is my experience that alternative therapies and herbal remedies just do not work. If you are not trying to get pregnant, then birth control pills will regulate your cycle and decrease androgen levels. If you are trying to get pregnant, then drugs to make you ovulate (clomid) or reduce your resistance to insulin (metformin) are often needed. One drug used for decreasing androgen levels is called Spironolactone.

I hope this helps. Good luck!!
Answered: Mon, 16 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor