Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Ruptured ear drum, ear clogging with blood and pus, hearing loss, dizziness.Emergency?

Hi, My sister who is 25 years old ruptured her ear drum last week. Her ear is clogged, full of blood and pus . She has some loss of hearing , ringing in her ear, she is in pain, she has fallen a few times from dizziness and no doctor will see her immediately. Every doctors office she calls wants to give her an appointment for a month or more. She is very worried and scared that the situation will worsen due to having to wait so long for a doctor to see her. My question to you is, Will she be OK waiting more than a month to be seen by a doctor? How dangerous is it for her ear to be filled with blood and pus for a long period of time? Please help, any information will be greatly appreciated.Thank You
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  73
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

I understand your concern about the month long wait but let me tell you that i have treated thousands of such cases and the treatment is waiting!!

You can also do these:
1. Since you have already been diagnosed as ruptured drum you can get an audiometry done for further recovery and follow up
2. Do not try to clean or wash the ear
3. Do not put any drops into the ear and do not allow the ear to get wet
4. If the pain increases then start a course of antibiotics and antihistamine in consultation with your GP
5. The symptoms will gradually improve over time so do not worry as it usually takes two weeks to two months for full recovery and you do not have to do anything in the meanwhile except for keeping the ear clean and infection free

take care and do not worry

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Fri, 30 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor