Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Right knee pain, knee joint effusion, meniscus tear diagnosed. Cortisone shot taken. Advise?

I have been haveind right knee pain, I went to the doctor and she sent me to physical thereapy. Upon exam thereapist said all evidence lead to a meniscus tear. I had an MRI done still in a lot of pain I have small knee joint effusion and intrameniscal degeneration in the lateral meniscus and in the postierior horn of the medial meniscus. I went to the orthi surgeon and he gave me a cortisone shot. It has take the edge off but still in a lot of pain I can not fully extend my leg or have it fully bent. Im at a loss of what to do any thoughts
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  80
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

This is just to let you know that small, stable and peripheral meniscal tears do not need to be treated surgically.

A course of conservative management will help resolve the symtoms -
* activity modification by avoiding impact sports which causes more strain on the knee joint
* using an elastic compression bandage to reduce the swelling
* Ice packing to alleviate the pain
* Physiotherapy to strengthen the quadriceps muscle

If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, then an ARTHROSCOPIC MENISECTOMY may be needed.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day
Answered: Sun, 14 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal's  Response

Thank you for your query.

You have not mentioned your age though you have mentioned that the MRI says degenerative changed in the lateral meniscus. If the steroid shot has not given you improvement then I suggest that you revisit your orthopaedic surgeon who shall advise the following:
1. Anti-inflammatory medication, if you are not taking it already.
2. Immobilization of the knee joint for a few days.
3. If required then he may like to do an arthroscopic repair of the tear.
The last resort will only be taken considering your age and the extent of degeneration.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you an early recovery.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
Answered: Sun, 14 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor