Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Rib injury to the left side below the chest, hospitalised, taking pain killers, still getting sharp pains. Suggestions?

Hi I was attacked 6 months ago at a cash point machine where I occurred a rib injury to my left side below my chest I was taken to the hospital where they carried out the x-ray , I was told I had kidney trauma too. I was off work for 4 weeks as I could not walk, move a lot, found it hard to breath, cough , sneeze , a lot of pain in my back also and my ribs. I was prescribed cocodamol and also had other pain killers to help with the pain. I have not been carrying out any exercise or lifting anything heavy since the incident, however I am still getting sharp pains in the rib area, where the injury was sustained, cannot lift anything heavy as the pain increases, at times I have to take my bra off sue to the pain. It comes and goes, however the pain has not completely gone and I am getting worried now. What could it be, what do you suggest I do?
Asked On : Sun, 12 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  51
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello. Welcome to hcm.
There might be a residual injury still in kidneys or the fracture in ribs might still be in the process of healing.
I advice you to get a ct scan done to rule out kidney pathology persisting due to injury. Also blood tests like urea and creatinine to see the function of kidneys. If normal,it might be due to stretching of capsule around kidney and slowly pain will go down.
If rib fracture was present,then it takes time to heal. You can visit physiotherapist for exercises and heat therapy to decrease pain sooner.
All the best
Answered: Fri, 17 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor