Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Rh negative. Do I need a blood test to check if sensitization has taken place in body?

Hi I m rhesus negative and have read a lot about the anti d jab and having a blood test to see if rh sensiziation has taken place in body, I have had 1 child that was rh positive then had a jab after giving birth. I have just miscarried for the second time and not had a blood test to check anti bodies in system or had an anti d jab. Will my gp provide this blood test if needed and also make an appointment for jab if needed?? Do I need any of these?
Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
hello mam
welcome to health care magic
mam you are Rh-ve and the 1st baby was Rh+ve and you had taken anti D injection after the birth of 1st baby right,,.so no sensitisation had taken place with the babies blood..
secondly for the second time you have miscarriage,,mam for miscarriage this is not the resaon,,it might be other causes like genetic hormonal or your infections but not due to Rh incompatibility
no need to panic and no need to check anti body can plan for a pregnancy,no need to worry..
hope you will understand my suggestion,,
if you are still in dilemma consult gynecologist for the cause of miscarriage and take precautionary measures for not getting again miscarriage...
no need to worry about anti D status(if you have been given anti d for the first pregnancy)..

thank you
Dr siddartha
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Sunil 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.
As you are Rh negative, had a Rh positive baby and then miscarriages. In such conditions during pregnancy mother's immune system can attack fetal blood.You are highly recommended to check your antibodies against Rh positive. Your health care provider will perform antibodies to see if you are sensitized or not. If you are not sensitized then you can be advised immunoprophylaxis Anti Rh-D Ig.
Hope it helps.
Take Care!
Answered: Thu, 4 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Sangita's  Response

As you are Rh negative anti d should be given after miscarriage also. But if it was not given you should go for Indirect coombs test and depending upon titre treatment will be given.If you are sensitised it may affect your future pregnancy also .So take care. In future pregnancy also frequent ICT may be reqd .
Answered: Sun, 14 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor