Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Reoccurring lump on lower back, painful. Any ideas?

I am a 22 year old female that is 5'4 and moderately active. have a lump that forms on my lower back (right of the spine) and it tends to appear for short periods of time ( some lasting 20 mins to a couple of hours). I haven't done any heavy lifting just "weird" contortions such as yoga poses and stretches of the entire body. The only time I feel a slight pressure and a mild pain ranking a 3 (on a scale from 1 to 10) is when I twist my upper half in the right direction. This is the third occurance and the least painful. Other times the pain would leave me stiff as a board and with pain that ranks as high as 7 or 8. In all instances my skin is not red nor do I have any bruising. Just a large mass on my lower back that appears when it wants. Please help.
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  75
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,  
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
hallo my friend
i read your complete history
how is consistancy of swelling ,cystic[fluid like] ,firm ,hard?
is size of swelling increasing
i think its benign lipoma
and you can relax , not to worry much
you can do MRI spine and confirm dignosis

take calcium suppliment with vit D
sit with taking support to your back
continue spine extension exersizes
spine exersizes r very important
for further query you can contact me
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Praveen Tayal's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The occasional lump on the side of your back can be related to a muscle spasm due to overuse of the muscles or a wrong posture. You need to have adequate rest, take muscle relaxants with mild pain killers for relief.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You need to be seen by a surgeon -
A mass that comes and goes (appearing intermittently) is generally hernia! - but the place is rather unusual for it... An abscess draining from the bone (spine)? And it is surprising that one can spot it in one's back?!
Examination is necessary / may be may not appear during the examination...
See your doctor...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor