Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
159 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Removed Gall bladder, pain with heavy sweats and difficulty in breathing. Is it normal after gall bladder removal?

Hello, I had my gall bladder removed 12 weeks ago and since then i have had pain where my gallbladder once was. this pain happened twice in the middle of the night, and once after eating a meal. When this happens, it is hard for me to breath, i am gasping for air and my whoel body breaks out into a heavy sweat. the last time it happened the area where my gall bladder was was pulsing. Is this a normal aftermath of gall bladder removal? i cant identify something that i had eaten in common each of the times that it has happened, so i am not really sure what could be causing this. Any direction or thoughts on this is very helpful.
Tue, 12 Feb 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
You seem to be suffering from post cholecystectomy syndrome ( PCS ). 
Postcholecystectomy syndrome (PCS) describes the presence of abdominal symptoms after surgical removal of the gallbladder (Cholecystectomy),like persistent pain abdomen,nausea,vomiting,bloating,diarrhea etc.

PCS may occur in about 5 to 40 percent of patients who undergo cholecystectomy. 
Approximately 50% of cases are due to biliary causes such as remaining stone in either remnant of cystic duct or common bile duct,biliary leakage etc.
The remaining 50% are due to non-biliary causes like inflammatory strictures around sphincter of oddi or around common bile duct.
You must consult your surgeon and get ultrasound and CT abdomen done to find the exact cause.
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Nephrologist Dr. George Muthalakuzhy's  Response
Thank you for using healthcare magic

You would need to ensure that there are no retained stones within the biliary tree. You should speak with your surgeon or primary care doctor and obtain laboratory work. Your physician may want to consider repeat imaging to evaluate the biliary tree. If there is evidence of obstruction or retained stone, you would then need referral to a gastroenterologist.

Take care and be well
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have a friend who had her gallbladder removed 3 years ago. She continues to have episodes mimicking gallbladder attacks. Her lab work comes back...

Recent questions on  Inflammatory strictures

doctor1 MD

Please help me I am out of my mind with worry. I had my gallbladder removed by laprascopic cholecystectomy 18 months ago. I recovered well after...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I had my gall bladder removed 12 weeks ago and since then i have had pain where my gallbladder once was. this pain happened twice in the...

doctor1 MD

My mother-in-law has gall stones and was scheduled for laproscopic surgery. After a pre-operation ultrasound detected the stone in/toward the bile...