Removal of heart during bypass surgery

Is it true that during CABG to the back side of the heart that they remove the heart from the body, repair it then replace it. Sounds scary.
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
Medical Procedures ,  
's  Response
CABG can be performed on-pump (bypass machine) or off pump on a beating heart. Depends on the cardiothoracic surgeon's choice and the patient's health status and needs. The heart is not "disconnected" from the body, ever, unless it is removed for a transplant, or during an autopsy(or if you happen to be a vampire). During CABG, veins are "harvested" from usually the thighs and used as bypass funnels...attached just before the blockage and just after, so blood can bypass the blockage and still get to the heart muscle with oxygen-rich blood. It's actually pretty cool to watch and especially cool to see the patient feel so much better afterward.