Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Redness on the head of penis, flaky patches on the shaft that's itchy. Is it cancer or herpes ?

I have redness on the head of my penis ...two red patches on the shaft that use to be irritant and flaky now its just red...also I have dry skin on the shaft and my penis is also itchyand a bump on my right genital. After I started messing with later on that day it became a little itch and it looked ashy now my question is do you think this is penile cancer or an infection of some sort like herpes or even just dry skin? Aldo a few weeks ago I have to urinate more often than usual it went away but a month later it xame that an infection of some sort or could it be linked to my other problems
Asked On : Mon, 19 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  230
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome,

I understand your anxiety. Let us take this one step at a time and try to find the correct diagnosis.

The usual presentation of Genital Herpes-male are present mostly on the glans penis or/and the shaft of the penis. Symptoms include:
Redness or irritable skin of glans penis
Bumps or blisters on the penis. This bump can at times occur elsewhere, like inside the urethra which connects the bladder to the external genitalia for draining of fluids (urine,semen), this could be a reason why you find it difficult to urinate at times
On progression of disease these blisters can even turn into open sores, which are painful
These sores once open, tend to bleed and even ooze fluid, after which they heal
Symptoms can recur with varying duration

The usual presentation of carcinoma of penis are:
Redness and irritation of skin of penis
Occasionally sore on penis
Lump on penis

I understand there is a similarity in the symptoms of conditions. We do get anxious patients asking similar questions.

I would advice you first take a 'PCR blood test' which is quite accurate in diagnosing genital herpes even if you do not have any symptoms.
If your symptoms have progressed and you have a sore on your penis, you could consult your physician to take a cell culture from the sore, which can be examined for the herpes virus

Once both these tests rule out herpes, you could then go ahead and request for a biopsy which would help rule out cancer

Hope this information has helped you. You could write back to us for further information.

Wishing you the best.
Answered: Tue, 20 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor