Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Red, swollen welts at the tip of tail bone, itchy. Treatment?

Every now and then, I get red, swollen welts at the tip of my tailbone. This has been going on for years. It usually lasts about two to three weeks and they are very itchy. They appear very suddenly. Not there at night, but are there when I get up un the morning. Or they could suddenly appear at night. What is it and how do I treat it. Thanks.
Asked On : Tue, 10 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  555
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response

Thanks for writing to us.
The appearance of welts restricted only to the tail bone may be allergic in origin or due to cholinergic nerve root irritation.
There is no permanent cure of this. For symptomatic relief, you can take oral anti allergics and anticholinergics.
Consulting a dermatologist will be helpful in getting a specific treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.


Dr. Rakhi Tayal
Answered: Tue, 10 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor