Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Red circular perineal rash

My nine-year old daughter has a red circle on her perineum. This is the 2nd time she has had it. It was treated with hydrocortizone before and went away. Econozole didn t work for it. The pediatrician said it was common. What is this condition called? I can t remember, and I need to bring it back up to his attention when I take her to go see him.
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jul 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  503
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
She probably has ringworm or Taenia infection which is a fungal infection called Tinea cruris. Firstly, she needs to avoid sweat accumulation. She should wear cool cotton clothing. A trial with Terbinafine drug cream with oral tablet therapy of anti-fungal will offer better results. You can discuss with her doctor about alternative treatment such as this.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Sharat Gupta's  Response
Dear Parent,
For Skin problem the best person to consult is a Dermatologist & not a Pediatrician.Never apply Hydrocortisone cream alone in this area. However a trial with topical and systemic antifungals (Terbinafine cream & talets) can be done.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Sharat Gupta's  Response
Topical Steroids may subsides symtoms for some time.Most likely she is having Tinea Incognito.In Tinea incognito topical antifungals alone may take several days to respond symptomatically. So she should take systemic antifungals also along with topical antifungals.
keeping in mind the flora(bactrial ,fungal) in this area,it is not advisable to use hydrocortisone cream alone.
Dr Sharat gupta
Answered: Mon, 18 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor