Recurring sharp pain in hands and fingers, difficulty in holding things, suspicion of carpal tunnel syndrome. Treatment advise?

Hi My father is 68 years old about 3 months ago he woke up with severe electic shock pain in both hands all fingers and thumbs, he cant hold a cup, flush a toilet, put socks on etc the pain is 27/7. We were told its possibly carpul tunnel syndrom, but im unsure that it is as it came on so sudden and is affecting ALL the fingers and tumbs in BOTH hands. Please can you help or shed some light on it, Thanks Tammy
Tue, 8 Apr 2014