Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Recurrence of ulcerative colitis. Taking sulfasalazine. Passing blood. Improvement? Suggest

hi im pankaj i have ulcerative colitis i went to india for check up n i found out it n doctor give me sulfasalazine i take this tablet 2mounth its work good now i come back to autralia n stop taking medicine i thought its gone im ok but few days its come back n i go to the doctore again in here n doctor again give me sulfasalazine i start taking but its 7 days I'm not feeling any improvement still blooding with toilet

Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
First of all will like to give you some important facts about ulcerative colitis (UC) so that you can understand things
1. UC is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease. By chronic I mean it is a life long disease and it will never cure. It has relapsing and remitting course. So never stop medication all together, some maintainence dose is always required
2. UC is graded according to the severity of symtoms, signs and some lab tests. Like fever, ESR, anemia (Hemoglobin levels), stool frequency (also frequency of blood in it), and pulse rate. And treatment depends on the grade of severity and extent of the disease for which one has to undergo colonoscopy. If is is mild to moderate then sulfasalzine will help. If it is severe then a course of steroids (prednisolone) is required for remission after which one can take sulfasalazine as maintainence.

So if your disease is not responding to sulfasalzine and the disease is severe then you require a course of steroids
So it is advised to visit a Gastroenterologist. I hope this will help you
Answered: Sun, 30 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor