Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Recovering from influenza, had stomach virus, throwing up and head spins. Can I get a shot of flu now?

I recently contracted influenza and am still recovering from it. Thank God for Tamiflu . Also had the stomach virus (throw up, head spins). I cannot have a flu shot because of a serious allergy to the preservative used in most shots. Is there a way I can get this without a shot? If so, would it be of help for me to get it now?
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response
The serious allergy to preservative in most shots is not clear, and you may be referring to the egg protein if you have egg allergy.

The influenza vaccine should be taken in the autumn before winter sets in for it to be effective.
People with egg allergy can have the influenza vaccine provided the lowest cut off limit of egg protein in the vaccine is used. As there are many manufacturers, the egg protein in the vaccines vary and now the companies have to quantify the amount of egg protein for egg allergy patients.

A 2-step approach is used (if the egg allergy is severe or anaphylaxis, and you definitely need the flu shots because of asthma, COPD etc).
10% of the vaccine is given s/c, then the patient is observed for 30 minutes, and if fine, the rest of the 90% of the vaccine is administered.

I hope this was useful.
Best Wishes.
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor