Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Recovering from an attack of cerebral malaria, slowly regaining memory and eating. What treatment should be taken to resume activities like walking and talking?

Hi, my name is Stephen and am from Kenya. I have a sister and she s 20yrs old, the thing is that when she was around 5yrs old, she was attacked by a strange disease and when my parents took her to the hospital, they were told that it was cerebral malaria and by that time she had lost almost all of her memories; she couldnt walk,talk or even seat upright she couldnt even know us. Since that day she s been reggaining her memories slowly and now she knows us(family) she can eat. the problem is that thats the only thing she can do. She cant walk, she cant talk so basically we everything for her. Is there anyway you can help me?
Asked On : Mon, 16 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  51
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response
The problem with your sister is that her brain got damaged in childhood due infection of brain by malarial parasites. The brain is one such organ which once gets damaged does not recover unless its treated early. The recovery from this illness depends on the severity of illness and onset of treatment. The brain is very fragile in younger age and mild damage can have severe residual consequences. The center part of brain is important for walking coordination abd memory intergration and this part is called basal ganglia. This part is severly involved in cerebral malaria. At this age of your sister i sorry to say that nothing much can be done to your sister except physiotherapy and some mutivitamin and neurotrophic drugs
Answered: Tue, 24 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor