Reason for mad cow disease

What is this mad cow disease, is it caused by cow bite?
Sun, 6 Dec 2009
's  Response

Mad cow disease is a rare illness people can get from eating infected beef.It is a fatal,neurodegenerative disease in cattle, that causes a spongy degeneration in the brain and spinal cord. In humans, the symptoms include insomnia, depression, confusion, personality and behavioral changes, and problems with memory, coordination, and sight. In later stages, the person rapidly develops dementia and involuntary, irregular jerking movements called myoclonus.

roshin's  Response
yes its not caused by cows bite, its due to eating undercooked beef. so its better to avoid eating beef. than getting the disease. it can lead to bed ridden and even death.
gurbani's  Response
Mad cow disease is not caused by cow's bite. It is caused by eating infected beef. It's called mad cow disease because it affects a cow's nervous system, causing a cow to act strangely and lose control of its ability to do normal things, such as walk. An infected cow would act "mad," which sometimes means mentally ill.