Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Re-sprain in the ankle with swelling and pain. No x-ray taken. Fracture?

My son is 5ft 11 inches, weighs about 175, 23 years old and in military. He twisted his ankle about three months ago playing racket ball. When he fell during the racket ball game from the ankle he passed out for a few moments. Well, he refused to go the doctor because he was out of the county and treated it as a sprain. Well, now he is back in the states and has twisted his ankle again, didn’t blackout this time but have some type of shaking after the incident. He did go have it check by someone on base but they refused to x-ray the ankle. They told him he had re-sprain it. There was little swelling with each event. Basely they have told him to continue to walk on it as usual, they did tell him to RICE for 12 hours. He tells me it still hurts but he is going to suck it up and keeping walking and working the way his ankle is right. I am concern there may be a hairline fracture or severe ligament damage, any suggestion? I just do not want my son to suffer with long term damage to his ankle, if it can be prevent. He has to use the on base medical care or that is what he tells me. Thanks for your help! Genevieve
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing. As your son is able to carry on his activities of daily living, a fracture in the ankle can be ruled out. He could have sustained a ligamentous injury of his ankle which is hurting him. Generally ligamentous injuries if left untreated will produce changes in the joint (arthritis)/ joint instability over a period of time which will be very crippling especially in the ankle. As your son is young and active individual, I suggest to get an MRI scan of his ankle joint which picks up all the ligamentous injuries. Consult an ortho surgeon and follow his advise. Hope this helps .Good day
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor