• question-icon

Rashes, swelling of lips and eyelids, burning lips after taking Thyronorm. Any alternative?

Dear Doctor, Pateint is my wife, 38 years , 5Ft 7Inches, married and we have one son. She is undergoing treatment for Ruhmetoid Arthritis for about last 3 years.No history of High B.P, Sugar etc.----either for herself or in her family. However, she has problem of PCOD for which currently no treatment is going on. For Arthritis, for 1st one year allopathic treatment was taken and later shifted to aurvedic treatment which is still continuing. Meanwhile developed Thyroid Problem(Hypo). Observing weight gain (presently 89 Kg.), general weakness etc. , Dr. advised her to go for Thyroid Tests. TSH level was about 10 some six months back which rose to 15.5 in next three months. Then started Thyronorm 50 mg daily once, but it is causing allergy like rashes on hands , legs and face, swelling of lips and eyelids, burning sensation on lips& mouth. Today stopped Thyronorm and taking Allegra 120 mg. Today s TSH Level is 8.6 after taking Thyronorm for last 70 days.This type of allergy also started with starting of taking Thyronorm. Now what to do. Can Thyronorm be stopped.... if yes, then are there any alternative medicines to control Thyroid and for weight loss. Please respond at YYYY@YYYY Regards, BKTewari Date: 25th November 2012
Fri, 30 Aug 2019
Endocrinologist 's  Response

Levothyroxine is the main thyroid hormone produced by the thyroid gland and the synthetic form is the most common form of thyroid hormone replacement therapy.

Thyronorm (Levothyroxine) is used to treat Hypothyroidism (like in your wife's case).

If your wife stops taking levothyroxine the symptoms of Hypothyroidism are likely to come back. So Thyronorm should not be stoped.

In cases of an allergic reaction to Thyronorm, the alternative of treatment is Armour thyroid.

Armour Thyroid is a natural product made from animal thyroid glands.

I want to underline that Armour Thyroid and Thyronorm(levothyroxine) are not interchangeable, so 1 mg of Armour Thyroid is not the same as 1 mg of levothyroxine.

You cannot substitute Armour Thyroid for levothyroxine and will need to get a new prescription from your doctor.

So, my advice or your wife is to consult physically her treating endocrinologist for the new treatment and prescription for her Hypothyroidisms.

The follow up with a local endocrinologist is very important because her actual level of TSH is not within the range.

So the treatment and possible doses adjustment after 4-6 weeks will be necessary to normalize the thyroid situation.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Elona Xhardo, Endocrinologist