Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Rashes on the back. Diagnosed with herpes zoster. What to do to relieve from pain? Chances of nerve damage?

Sir, My mother is 64 years old and she recently got Herpes Zoster . She developed rashes/ shingles on her back, hand and under armpits ( right side). Now her rashes/shingles have dried but she is having lot of pain near her back, shoulders. Its almost 1 1/2 months since she had this. Can u help me ? what is to be done to relieve her from this horrible pain. She is taking medicines for the pain as prescribed by her doctors. Also can u pls tell me what could be the aftermath of zoster attack, i mean any damage of nerve cells etc. Thanking u in advance.
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hi ,
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are dealing with is PHN or post herpetic neuralgia.
Amitryptaline and pregabalin can help a lot in the condition.
Also TENS technique can help in reducing the pain.
Consult a qualified dermatologist to help you with the procedure

Hope this helps.
Wishing you good health.
Answered: Wed, 30 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dermatologist Dr. Puvvula Kishore Kumar's  Response
This conditiion is called HERPETIC NEURALGIA..,
First try for..... Antidepressants...Amitryptalene and Hydrallazine(Amixide -H)..,
daily night times.....or
if not respond....Carbamazepine citrate...Tegretal 200 mg daily..,
Along with Methylcoblalmine..Mecbal 1500mg daily..will give better results
Answered: Wed, 30 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Polash Sannigrahi's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear...
The condition your mother is suffering from is called as Post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN)
This pain may stay for many months even after the lesions have subsided.
Pain killer tablets are usually of not much help.
She needs to take a nerve stabilizing agent like Gabapentin for few months.
Although this will help, but there is no permanent cure to this condition.
Don't worry about the nerve damage...there will be only pain & nothing more.
Wishing your mother a good health.
Thanks & take care.
Answered: Tue, 29 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor