Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Rashes in the groin area, fungal rash, itches badly. Treatment?

My husband and I both have rashes in the groin area. I have had this problem for quite sometime. My husband stated that he never had it until after we married. My doctor says its a fungal rash like jock itch the cream I use and what they prescribed doesnt itches really bad from time to time mostly at night...what could this be
Asked On : Fri, 1 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  296
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response

It seems that both of you are having tinea is a fungal infection caused by dermatophytes. It is a contagious skin disease and spread by direct contact and fomites. Blood tests may be done to rule out DM and HIV. It may be exacerbated by poor immunity,sweating,soap and wetness. Dry the area after bath.

Both of you take antifungal drug like ketoconazole or itraconazole for 2 to 3 weeks. Take antihistaminics like levocetirizine till itch is relieved. And apply anti fungal cream like clotrimazole. Sprinkle clotrimazole powder after bath.

Avoid soap bath. You may use dettol liquid for bath.

I think, both of you may be alright, but, consult dermatologist.

I hope you got my answer.


Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Answered: Wed, 30 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor