Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Rapid pulse rte, tightness in chest. Taken several illegal drugs. Abnormal ECG. Treatment?

my son is 22yrs old and went to A&E last week with extreme rapid heart beat and tightenings in the chest with some pain,the ECG was going crazy and then it stopped and I was sent home,But since then my sons heart rate is extremely fast and I m worried as he has taken ,over the years,alarge number of ellegal drugs.Please could you advise me on what he should do.Thank you
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  19
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

In the normal heart , the 'electrical current' originates from a certain part of the heart then travels along a specific pathway to stimulate the rest of the heart. Abnormal rhythms occur if there are problems where the 'current' arises, if the stimulation arises from another part of the heart, if there are any areas of enlargement or any other abnormalities of the heart, if the 'current' travels along another pathway or there is blockage of the normal pathway.
He should consider visiting his doctor for a review, he or she may suggest a repeat ECG. If this does not show anything then a holter may be done.
A holter is basically a 24hr ECG.

Further investigations may be suggested based on the results

I hope this helps
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor