Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

186 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Pus in ear

my three year old sun suffering from perforation of ear drum and every time he gets cold he will pour pus from the ear, this is happening many times. what can be done to stop pus pouring from the ear?
Fri, 13 Nov 2009
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics ,  
  User's Response
's  Response

There is a connection between the middle ear and the nose. This is known as the Eustachian Tube. When it functions properly, it equalizes the air pressure behind the eardrum to that of the atmospheric pressure (through the nose).

The Eustachian tube is wider, shorter and more horizontal in a child (than in an adult, where it becomes narrower, longer and more vertical as we grow). Liquids such as milk can easily enter the middle ear especially if your child is drinking milk while lying flat on the bed. Try and raise his head a bit while feeding.

Frequent colds may be a result of hypertrophy (increase in size) of the Adenoid tissue behind the nose, which normally occurs between the ages of 3 and 7. If he has developed snoring or mouth breathing, please ask for a lateral x-ray of the skull to rule out adenoid hypertrophy. 

There can be a number of other reasons for poor ventilation of ears. An eardrum perforation means that nature is trying to compensate for a poorly functioning Eustachian tube.

Remember that the middle ear is always wet due to the presence of mucus secreting glands and hence if your son has developed a permanent eardrum perforation, his affected ear will not dry up completely and pick up infections easily.

Anti-allergic medication and mucolytics along with steam inhalation (under strict adult supervision) are the simplest remedies available.

Every time infections develop in an ear, toxins present in pus can diffuse into the inner ear and permanently damage the hearing, In rare cases, it can also affect the brain.

More complex treatment, if required,  is possible under the care of an ENT specialist.

  User's Response
marek's  Response
I think he has some infection in the ear. Also take him to a ENT doctor other wise he may become deaf later if not corrected. Also avoid from exposure to cold, put little cotton in the ear while taking bath
  User's Response
jyotika's  Response
be neighbour neglected ear infection and she finally her brain infected..and she was admitted in a hospital and took one month for her to recover...
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I ve had my ear pierced for about a year. My left ear has been swollen for many many months. My right ear is fine. The swollen ear has pus that doesn t come out often but when it does my ear turns red. I just don t want to have a bigger earlobe than the other and I m hoping this does not become permanent. By the way my earing is still in my ear. I don t have medical insurance to visit a clinic. What can I do to cure my earlobe?

doctor1 MD

I am 54 years old and have lots and lots of diffent ear infections over 20 years. When it started I saw over 15 ear specialist and they all did different things. Finally when I moved an allergy specialist started me on shots and I did well. Then I moved and have went to couple other specialist. Ringing all the time and then it will pop with pus which makes it feel better and the ringing gets softer. This last doctor I went to wants to peel the ear drum and reconstruct with my ear lobe. Please let me know anything about this and if I should do this.

doctor1 MD

hi doc good morning,,im from phillipines.i just want to ask something,i feel so embarassing for this,,i haveproblim inside my ear its my first time happen,my friend says it is an ear pus,i need your help doc what is the best medecine for this,,thank you

Recent questions on  Sensory system

doctor1 MD

i have had this lower back hip bone pain for long time .....seen the doctor but says its just a normal pain take tylenol.....but i really want to know if there is any other solution to this pain.....i cannot walk when i have this seems as if the hip is going to crack off...please help me

doctor1 MD

I have a recurring problem that goes away. it starts with a pain in my right ear and extends down my right side. My muscles in the right side of my neck become very stiff to the point where i can hardly flex my head to the left side. flexing to the right is without effort. The pain eventually covers the entire right side of my head affecting my gums, teeth, right eye, sinuses, ear, throat, etc. This is sometimes but not often accompanied by dizziness, and nausea, but the dr has even stated that my,normally strongest, right side, is noticeably weaker than my left. I have not been able to get a diagnosis for this but have been referred to a physical therapist because the dr has equated it to a muscle problem. However, by the time I m able to get an appointment, the symptoms are usually not severe enough to warrant physical therapy. I have no regimine to resolve this. it goes away on its own

doctor1 MD

My father is 71 years old, post colon cancer pt, (6 yrs clear), had knee surgery a few years ago; skin on both legs is shiny , mostly hairless (below knee) and appears tight . He does not complain of pain, itching or any insensitivity but looks not right . He does take cumidin, lasix and I believe another med, but not recalling what it is; causes?

doctor1 MD

I ve had nexplanon fitted 48 hours ago however I m still experiencing pain in the insertion site. Hurts to bend the arm and do some normal day to day activities. Is it normal for it to be this sore? The rod is palpable and just under the skin. I found when I bend my arm, it feels like the implant is being pushed up causing sharp pains.

doctor1 MD

Hi i have had dizziness with the feeling that my eyes were shaking .several times over the last 24 hours and several times over the last couple of weeks. It is an unfamiliar feeling that come over me like a wave. This morning it happened twice and...

doctor1 MD

Hello Dr, Occasionally since couple of days i get Electric shock pain in the left palm/ fingers and simultaneously on the left side of the cheek. Sometimes only on the right palm but not on the cheek. And pinching pain in the back for few mins now...

doctor1 MD

My lumbar MRI shows the following: 19mm low signal intensity structure withing central call at l4-l5, extending disc fragment posterior to superior margin of l5 with sequestered disc fragment secondary to l4-l5, marked compression of the call...