Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Pus formation and pain in the gum after food getting stuck. Need to see a dentist?

A week ago I felt like I had something stuck in my tooth . I brushed and glossed but nothing came out or got better. I pushed a bit on the gum and a tiny black thing like a piece of pepper but hard came out. Now for the last few days my gum has been sore and if I press the area white puss comes out. Is this an abscess and should I go see my dentist?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013
Answers:  6 Views:  365
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

I think you have developed abscess in the gums .
This can be due to either food impaction between the gums , or accumulation of plague and calculus leading to gingival inflammation and pocket formation.
It can also be due to carious tooth.

I suggest you to visit a Dentist and get a checkup done .
Take an x-ray .
Get complete mouth scaling and polishing done .
Get an abscess drained by curettage .
Take complete course of antibiotic and analgesic.

Hope this helps out ,

Answered: Sun, 17 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend.

thanks for sharing your concern.

yes, you have developed an abscess,from which pus is oozing out.

i think you have a gum problem called localized periodontitis.

you have developed a pocket there in which food particles gets accumulated and cause pain and infection resulting in abscess.normally tooth brush does not reach there.

i would suggest you to visit your dentist and get deep scaling or if required curettage done.

meanwhile use antiseptic mouth wash to reduce the infection can also do warm saline rinse.

hope it helps

Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
The various treatment options available to deal with gum abscess have been listed below.
•Analgesics for alleviating pain
•Antibiotic treatment involving antibiotic tablets, gels and mouthwashes
Drainage of pus by incising the abscess
Root canal treatment in case of spread of infection to the root apex
•Tooth extraction and periodontal surgery, in severe cases
Meanwhile you can do Rinsing with warm, salt water (one-eighth teaspoon salt in eight ounces of warm water) several times a day helps to reduce bacterial load, and break open the abscess. Salt water serves as a natural antibiotic mouthwash.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

As per the details provided,the hard piece which came out can be hard calculus formed from plaque deposition.
This can be dental caries too .

I would suggest you to get a clinical check-up by a dentist.

Deep scaling and root-planning has to be done.

Abscess has to be drained and curetted.

Decayed teeth has to be restored.

Take complete course of antibiotics and analgesics.
Meanwhile,maintain good oral hygiene.


hope this helps
Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello and welcome ,

Food impaction in between the teeth or lodgement of any irritants in the gum pocket leads to gingival inflammation.

In you case i suspect physical trauma to the gums by the impacted food has lead to formation of the gingival abscess which drians white pus like material in the mouth .

Ginvigal abscess needs to be curretted and drained , followed by a course of antibiotic will help reducing the symtoms.

so i suggest you to consult a dentist and get the gum abscess drained .

Get scaling of the gum pockets and root planing of the teeth done , use antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine for mouth gargling along with the course of medication .

i hope this helps,

take care.

Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
I am Dr.Neha Gupta (dentist) and am glad to address to your query here.

Any foreign substance or debris strucked in the gum may lead to inflammation of the gum tissue ,redness , pain and discomfort if left at place.

i would suggest you to use a dental floss to clean in between the teeth which may help in removing the food. flossing technique removes the debris in between the teeth by pulling action.

yes you should get a professional cleaning of gums done which helps in removing the debris and pus.

get full mouth scaling done, curettage and drainage of pus

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at healthcaremagic through my profile directly.
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor