Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Pus filled swollen jaw after removing the tooth. Blisters present. What to do?

I had the left side of my bottom teeth removed for dentures today. I have a heart murmer and was given 4 lg. amoxil 1 hr. before. When I arrived at the dentist office this morning, my jaw was swollen so I knew there was infection somewhere. The dentist stated she saw pus when she pulled a few of the teeth. Now that I am home, the pain has become severe. I looked in my mouth and along the gum line, is filled with blister looking things filled with fluid. What should I do??
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  62
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Do not worry if your dentist has examined thoroughly and suspects pus in your oral cavity then she must have drained them too.Any pus anywhere in oral cavity should be drained well before further treatment.

Also you have already started with your antibiotic dosage due to heart murmur,so even if there is any infection and pus remaining, your sufficient dosage of antibiotic will help in this case.

just take your medication properly in this case.

Now the blister that you would have seen could be pitting edema(swelling after extraction which generally occurs).

For pain relief you can consult your physician and take suitable analgesics for three to five days.

I hope the symptoms should subside within five days, if not then you need to visit your dentist for follow up.

meanwhile take all precautions and due care for post extraction healing.

Take good nutritious and semisolid diet, and relax you will be fine soon.
take care.
Answered: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello there ,

your history suggests you have got extraction of the teeth done, which were under infection and draining pus.

In such condition , if the teeth are infected and pus filled ,after extraction the socket needs to be curretted thoroughly to remove all the abscess and the infected tissue and compressed in position for normal healing.

i would suggest you to follow the post extraction instructions given by your dentist strictly to prevent any infection or dry socket.

continue to course of antibiotic and analgesics for 5 to 7 days to prevent infection and fasten healing.

Appearence of blisters can be reactionary and will subside with time, use lukewarm saline water for mouth gargling regularly.

i hope this information helps ,

take care.
Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Swelling and formation of pus indicates bacterial infection that had spread to the periapical tissue leading to formation of abscesses .

You take complete rest ,
use saline gargles 3-4 times a day , use antiseptic mouthwash rinses like chlorhexidine or betadine twice daily this will prevent infection and promote healing.

Take tab dolonex TDS for pain relief .
Apply metrogyl oral ointment topically over the affected area .
Maintain a good oral hygiene , avoid eating hot and spicy food , eat soft diet.

You can visit your Dentist and get the checkup done ,
Take an x-ray of the affected region to know whether there is any left over tooth particle and the condition of the periapical tissues .

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm forum,

The extracted socket may contain pus and abscess within it resulting in dry socket .
Frequent warm saline rinse may be helpful.
Also irrigate the socket using betadine and sodium hypochlorite solution.
rinse your mouth after every mEALS.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Take complete course of medicines prescribed.
use chlorhexidine mouthrinse to gargle.
hope this helps.
Answered: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor