Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Pus filled painful abscess on the ankle. Need to be treated?

I have I think a boil or abscess on my left ankle on the side. It has pus and is slightly painful when you touch it. I am wondering if it is serious? Otherwise, shall I just leave it alone and let nature take its course? Also, I have a scar left from anther boil on my eg, is it possible for it to fade away within time, or s there a treatment? Thanks Aliya
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  98
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hello.thanks for the query

Boils is caused by a bacterial infection.For the treatment :
1)Hot compresses may help drain the swollen areas.You can clean with Normal Saline 2-3 times a day to keep the area clean.
2)Inscision and Drainage of the pus may be done by qualified personnel. Do not touch it or attempt to drain it yourself.This leads o further infection even after a sense of relief due to drainage of the pus.
3)Antibiotic creams applied to the skin like mupirocin twice daily for 10 days.
4) Oral anti inflammatory medicines like Ibuprofen/ Paracetamol may help relieve the pain and reduce the inflammatory process.
4) You might require oral anti biotic therapy to reduce the infection .

Several creams help in fading post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
You may start using a cream having Kojic acid twice daily on spot of the scar.

Hope this is helpful
Take care!
Answered: Mon, 25 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor