Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Pus filled lump on the buttocks. Not hemorrhoid. What else?

I have a bulge that began next to my butt hole was rock hard it spread out to my butt cheek. Now this has cleared up but is now at the tip of the cheek (where the cheek is exposed next to the crack). I have used preparation H and that did not work the only thing that helps is to keep pressure off of it or take a bath. It is also leaking a bloody pus. I thought at first this was a hemorrhoid but now that it is not near my rectum I am second guessing this.
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  451
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum

Seems like you have developed folliculitis on the buttocks .
Now firstly i would advise you to keep the area clean and dry as much as possible.
Do not apply any kind of moisturizing creams/lotions or oil over the affected area.
Wear cotton undergarments so as to decrease the amount of sweating..
Clean the area with lukewarm water twice a day and apply an antibiotic cream
like mupirocin gel over the area twice daily...
If inspite of the above measures, the lesion persists or continues to increase in size,
then you might need a course of oral antibiotics along with pain killers.
In that case, i would advise you to visit a dermatologist for proper assessment and treatment

Hope it helps
Best wishes for a speedy recovery
Dr Geetika Paul
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

If this lump is in the gluteal cleft (so called butt crack) most likely you do suffer from pilonidal cyst. This condition is caused by ingrown hair witch keeps irritating tissues causing pain and inflammation. With the inflammation pus appears what makes this area hard and tender. The best way of treatment is surgical removal of it. However before that, acute inflammation needs to be settled down. To do that, small incision and pus drainage needs to be done.

If this lump is more near the anus it is possible that this is anorectal abscess or fistula between the skin and the rectum. Both conditions needs to be incised first and the pus needs to be evacuated. After that, MRI should be done if any doubts of what lesion it is.

So no matter what it is, you definitely should visit general surgeon.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor