Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Pus filled bump below teeth, no pain, pus oozes on pushing with finger. What could this be?

Hello my name is Brandi. I have a question my tooth on the bottom in front has a pus filled place its located on the inside were I can push it with my tounge. When I push it with my finger pus comes out of my gum at the bottom center of my tooth it doesn t hurt I ve been to the dentist but they have no idea what it is.
Asked On : Fri, 12 Oct 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  2427
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and thank you for your question.
Based on what you have described you have either a perio or a dental abscess. This is causes either by a severe infection below the gum line associated with the gingiva around the tooth or due to a tooth that has has the nerve die and is now necrotic. Since the nerve is dead, you don't have any feeling in it and you won't experience pain. The reason why it doesn't hurt is because the abscess is draining and there isn't a build up of pressure. You need to go to a dentist to get it evaluated and determine the origin of the infection to have it treated.

If you went to a dentist and they have no idea what it is, then I strongly encourage you to find another dentist and get evaluated. Most dentist know what this is right off the bat. This is normally treated by root canal on the tooth, extraction or periodontal surgery with scaling, debridement and antibiotics.

Best wishes and good health

Dr. Ward
Answered: Sat, 13 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Udaykumar Bondre's  Response
Hello Brandi,
if there is pus filled bump situated on back side of lower anterior teeth, then it is indication of localized infection.
You are not feeling pain & that may be due to your central incisors have become non vital or dead or pain can be absent in teeth if that infection is solely related to gums.
Get an x-ray done which will make diagnosis of origin of infection. Use of Antibiotics is mandatory in such case.
Along with Antibiotics you will have to get that pus drained by dentist which will stop spread of infection. Also you can use local anti-infective mouth wash like Betadine or wokadine mouth gargle which will aid in resolving the condition.
If pathology is related to teeth ,then it may require Root canal Treatment to be done & if its solely related to gums & resolves after drainage done by dentist then no other special treatment would be necessary.

Take care.
Answered: Fri, 12 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
hullo brandi. it would be prudent to ascertain the cause of the pus which could be due to a carious tooth to a gingival or periodontal pus ( due to pocket around the tooth ) . you need to have an xray of the region and find out the cause.antibiotics an analgesics can help.
Answered: Fri, 12 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
there is abscess formation at the periodontium of tooth.
check whether the tooth is decayed or gum is infected by plaque/food debris accumulation.
get an x-ray of tooth to get exact diagnosis.
if ther is dental caries with periapical abscess,root canal treatment along with drainage of abscess has t-o be done.
if there is gingivitis,deep scaling and root planning along with gingival curettage using gracey curettes has to be done.
always brush your teeth twice daily using soft-interdental toothbrush .clean your mouth after every meals to prevent plaque accumulation.
once the abscess drains out,take tab.doxycycline-100mg,once daily,for 7 days,or else it can lead to antibioma.
take care
Answered: Fri, 12 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor