Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Pus discharge from gum. Prescribed antibiotics. Best way to rinse mouth?

Hi,my name is Sylvie. I have pus oozing out of my gum and I also have a hip implant. I contacted my dentist who prescribed antibiotics . Of course I am concerned that the infection would go to the implant. 1- what is the best way to rinse my mouth to get rid of the pus? salt water? scope? 2 - at what point would I need to go to emergency, in case it gets worse?
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  400
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Hello Sylvie,
Answers to your questions are given below:
1. Use chlorhexidine mouth wash thrice daily on a regular basis, this is quite effective in eradicating micro-organisms.
2. If there is pulsatile pain or increased pain or if the quantity of pus coming out increases or the gum swelling continues to increase despite taking antibiotics then you should go to the ER.
Answered: Wed, 12 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I would like to tell you that pus discharge means you have an abscessed tooth.It will not be eradicated just by antibiotic but it needs complete treatment.You need to get an IOPAR done of associated tooth & get a proper treatment plan done like whether it needs root canal treatment or extraction.
Start your treatment after consulting your dentist as soon as possible.

Take Care
Answered: Sun, 16 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Hello Sylvie,
Thanks for writing in.
I read your problem,first of all i would like to tell you that pus from gums indicates infection in that area and only antibiotic will not be the permanent solution of this problem.
So i will suggest you visit a dentist in your area as soon as possible ans get the thorough examination done and take a proper treatment according to the reason.
If infection is in the tooth there could be two possibilities-
1.If it could be saved-root canal treatment of the concerned tooth.
2.If it can not be saved-Extraction of the concerned tooth.
If the infection is because of periodontal origin it means there is periodontal abscess it will be treated b incision and establised drainage.
Nothing to get worried.
Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Thu, 13 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
The first thing you need to do is to get in touch with your dentist and schedule for an appointment immediately. Do not delay treatment for such a problem since it might increase the area of infection if left unattended.
Ease the pain temporarily with a mixture of clove oil in salt water. You can also use anti-inflammatory pain relievers like ibuprofen to help with the pain and the swelling.
Answered: Thu, 13 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor