Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Pulmonary stenosis during infancy, at teenage has right chamber enlarged with leakage. Advised waiting for surgery. Opinion?

My daughter was born with pulmonary stenosis at 6 months old she had the valve stretched with the ballon procedure. She is now 19 years old and her right chamber is one and a half enlarged and she has at least 30 percent leakage, but her doctor recommends waiting for surgery. I am scare what do you recommend? Do we need a second opinion?
Asked On : Tue, 6 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  42
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello. I'm sorry your daughter has problems with her heart. It sounds like her doctor is keeping her long-term outlook in mind; delaying surgery until it is clearly indicated is in your daughter's best interest. As you know, every procedure to open your daughter's valve carries some risk, and each surgery becomes technically more difficult for the surgeon and more risky for the patient.
One of the criteria for performing surgery in patients with pulmonic stenosis is the peak systolic transvalvular gradient, which is a measure of the pressure difference across the valve when the heart contracts. If this gradient is quite high (>50), surgery is usually indicated. Transvalvular gradients can be estimated with an echocardiogram, which is a test I suspect your daughter has had recently. Reviewing her latest echo with the cardiologist might help ease your fears.
It might also reassure you to know that leaky pulmonic valves are usually well-tolerated, because the right side of the heart is subjected to much lower pressures than the left side. In most cases, pulmonic regurgitation ("back-leakage") can be treated medically, rather than surgically.
As always, though, if you're uncomfortable with the recommendations of your daughter's current physician, it's appropriate to seek a second opinion.
I hope that helps. My best to you and your daughter.
Answered: Tue, 6 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor