Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Pulled calf muscle, hurts to walk, knot in leg. Taking aspirin. Is it a muscle spasm?

My husband is 59 years old. He thought he pulled his calf muscle over a week ago while stretching to reach something. That evening his lower inner calf muscle hurt. Over the last week, he said it really hurts to walk on it, he gimps badly when walking. He has a hard knot on inside of lower calf on right leg. He has been wearing compression socks to work, but still bothers him. We were worried it could be a bloodclot, but to touch it does not seem warm. It is kinda dark like bruised color where the knot is. He takes a coated aspirin daily due to AFIB . Do you think it is a muscle spasm or maybe something more serious. It swells a tad bit during day but once he comes home in evenings and gets off of his feet it goes down to normal....just curious.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  270
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can appear due to calf muscle strain, veins thrombosis or blood accumulation due to vessel rupture (heamatoma) or both. Thrombosis gives pain, swelling, the calf becomes hard and tender. Try to straighten your husband leg in the knee and pull his feet gently down. If it will cause pain radiating to from the feet to the knee, thrombosis is very possible.
Bruised color can indicate a heamatoma but still it can be associated with thrombosis. The best way to rule both out is to perform soft tissues ultrasound and Doppler ultrasound. Heamatoma might need an incision and evacuation, otherwise it will become an abscess.
Please visit your doctor as soon as possible as deep vein thrombosis can be life threatening.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Welcome to the forum.
The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of muscles strain. This hard lump most probably formed due to haematoma formation (collection of blood) which might get fibrosed or calcified.Do hot fomatation at the site. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
I hope this is helpful to you.

Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor