Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Protected sex, hand numbness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, weight loss. Worried about HTLV infection. Tests to check if I have contracted it?

Hi Doctor, I had a recent exposure and everything was protected. after 2 days of my exposure i have had neuro problems,numbness on hand a leg, prephrial neuropathy, pins and needles on body, abdominal pain , diarreah for more than 6 weeks, weak bladder,now constipation for 5 weeks, blurred vision , weight loss . fatigue, easy bruises,limb and lower leg muscle weak ness. pimples and spots on chest, face and leg, inner thigh,I am not worried about HIV. I am worried abou HTLV coz all my symptoms match to HTLV HAM TSP. But my test result at week 10, 69 days is negative. I am very worried i have cought HTLV. please help how can i rule this out. do i need to check for this further what is the window period for this.
Tue, 10 Jul 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
HIV AIDS Specialist 's  Response
Dear Jackroland,
What you mean by HTLV infection? HIV was previously called as HTLV III . Now it is not so. As you had protected exposure you need not worry about any sexually transmitted infections, provided your protection starts from the beginning to end of the sexual act. If you have doubt about your protection and safe sex, then you can have DNA PCR test for HIV as the symptoms are similar to the sero-conversion illness or acute HIV infection. If it is negative. then get treatment for ordinary seasonal viral infection. You will be alright
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor