Prostatitis with Ecoli,amikacin and cifran right treatment ?

I am suffering from prostatitis ( urine culture and semen culture showed E.Coli CFU 10 (4) sensitive to all currently used antibiotics). Doctor prescribed me amikacin (iv) 2mL bd for 5 days along with cifran OD 1g (cirofloxacin) for 14 days. is this the rite treatment as i have never heard of amikacin prescribed for prostatitis.
Tue, 8 May 2012
Urologist 's  Response
hi, how long is duration of your symptoms? if more than 3 months, it is chronic prostatitis. amikacin not frequently used for chronic prostatitis (penetration into prostate tissue is poor). but it will clear the urine infection. Cifran will take care of prostatic infection, but 1.5 months for acute and 2-2.5 months for chronic prostatitis. repeat tests and culture after course of treatment. good luck.