Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Prolonged menstrual cycle, heavy flow with spotting. Abdominal scan shows bulky uterus, cervical cysts. Cure?

My Aunt is 53 year old. She had her regular menstrual cycle 15 days back, but still her bleeding has not stopped and her bleeding seems to be a heavy flow some times , spotting as well as regular flow alternatively. It has not stopped even after taking tablets and injection . Her abdominal scan reports as Bulky uterus with multiple nabothian cyst in the cervix . Is the bleeding related to the cyst? How to get rid of them? Are they curable? Please suggest.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  74
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The irregular bleeding that your aunt is having is not likely to be related to the nabothian cysts in the cervix. Such irregular bleeding is commonly seen due to a hormonal disturbance. Do consult a gynecologist for proper treatment.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Sat, 23 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Nirmala P's  Response
Hello Nivedhaa, bleeding is not due to cyst but due to bulky uterus. Bulky uterus can occur in women above 30 years. It is called Adenomyosis & is due to proliferation (multiplication) of uterine endometrium (lining of uterus).It is a common occurence after delivery & after a cesarean section.
Nebothian cysts is mucus filled cysts on the surface of cervix. It usually disappears on its own. it appears during menstural cycle & disappears after that.
Adenomyosis results in very heavy menstrual bleeding or spotting during the period or irregular periods. The increased uterus size usually shrinks after menopause due to lack of estrogen, the female sex hormone. Oral Contraceptive Pills (OCP) are used to regularise periods & to ease pain.
Medroxy Progesterone injection & a combination of Tranexamic acid + Mefenamic acid tablets will help to stop bleeding. Then the periods can be regularised with OCP, because she is already 53 & nearing menopause& the symptoms will disappear after menopause.
But if the bleeding doesn't stop even after these medications, she can opt for Hystrectomy (removal of uterus) as further bleeding will result in anaemia.
Answered: Sat, 23 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor